[Vision2020] Open Dialogue and Phil Nisbet

Nicholas Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Wed Jul 13 01:27:06 PDT 2005

Greetings:

I'm waiting patiently for a response from Nisbet on whether he thinks my efforts to engage Wilson & co. were sufficent.  I would like to add three more items to my previous list.

1. In the spring of 2000 I was invited to give a talk to NSA faculty and students. I was well received and had a good interchange with them.  I congraluated Wilson on the success of his college.

2. Late in 2002 I sent Wilson, Jones, and Atwood an invitation to attend the regional religious studies meeting to be held in Moscow.  I invited NSA faculty to submit papers and NSA students to enter the paper contest.  Not a single faculty or student attended.  40 percent of the papers at that conference were given by faculty from conservative evangelical schools.

3. Late in 2003 I engaged in a debate with Doug Jones on the Trinity.  Althought he was very tardy in getting his responses to me, we still had a cordial debate that was recently published in their journal.  The worst name I called Jones was "tritheist."

I will patiently await Nisbet's assessment of whether these have been successful attempts on my part at sincere engagement.

Nick Gier