[Vision2020] Opportunities for Research

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 11 06:54:22 PDT 2005

FYI, Tom

How much rape seed oil or canola do you see growing in Latah County?  How
about soy beans?

What we have is wheat, lentils and trees.  Where is the research on them as
a feedstock for biodiesel?

What catalysts did the U of I use?  Did they look at any local derived
materials?  Or is it that the research was done with off the shelf catalysts
from the subsidaries of the Oil Companies?

This county has halloysite, kaolin and other clays suitable for making
catalysts.  Where is the research on their use to make catalysts for
biodiesel?

Lets face it, we have done wonderful things for ADM and for the boys over at
Monsanto, but unless we grow some of it in Idaho, how did a program using
off the shelf catalysts and other people's crops do much for either a long
term U of I program or the local community?

Phil Nisbet