[Vision2020] RE: Co-op pays taxes

Phil Nisbet pcnisbet1 at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 7 11:48:21 PDT 2005

Bill

My last to you was offlist, but as you want to put this on list I will
respond in that venue.

I do not want to get into a p-ss fight.  I think that the Co-op is a good
organization and does a commendable job.

The point is simple.  If you are not for profit, you do not make money and
that being the case, you do not contribute taxes.  Those seeking a higher
tax revenue base from the downtown area are suggesting that people pay their
'fair share' and that those who do not pay taxes in the downtown area are
some how getting a free ride.

NSA, the Eagles, Goodwill and all the rest pay taxes on employee wages.
Where applicable, they pay sales taxes.  The issue is property taxes, which
you point out that the Co-op as a renter pay for the property owner through
your lease payments.  You pay no income tax, since you are not for profit
any more than the other organizations do.

So why are you in downtown?  Obviouosly because the location and the price
of rentals and or property values make that area ideal to serve the purpose
of your customer base.

You see Bill, I see having the Co-op and Goodwill in Downtown as a good
thing, even though they do not generate large sources of tax revenue.  You
provide a worthwhile service in a location that is readily accessible to the
bulk of the walking and bike riding population, in addition to serving other
goods as the community minded organizations that you are.

But if the purpose of zoning is to maximize revenues from retail shopping
space in the Main Street area, than Goodwill and the Co-op and the
Kenwoirthy and all the rest of the things that are desirable goals
otherwise, do not fit the bill any better than does NSA.

Frankly, I would be extremely supportive of seeing that the Co-op got tax
exempt status, because I think that it is a very significant engine for one
of the possible legs of economic development here.  Organic farming as a
means of providing value added agricultural products has value in and above
any of the few dollars that flow to city coffers from the tax that your
leasor pays.  I do not see the ten or fifteen grand a year in property taxes
generated as having anywhere near the economic benefit of having the Co-op
exactly where it is.

But the fortunes of downtown are mainly dictated by what other things we do
to bring in the required tax revenues we need to support this city.
Downtown, even if fully stocked with retail outlets, is not going to bring
in the money needed for the budget required.

Phil Nisbet