[Vision2020] Spain Legalizes Same-Sex Marriage

donald toogood dtoogood at email.com
Sat Jul 2 17:57:49 PDT 2005

This isn't just about two men marrying each other either. Hell, look
where this leads to. Look at this that someone sent me that I put on
here.. The same sobs that are wanting two men to marry now want to let
these whole groups marry each other. This ACLU is crazy. They won't stop
when they just let men marry each other either. Most of the mormons don't
even want this go go through

ACLU of Utah to Join Polygamists in Bigamy Fight

July 16, 1999

SALT LAKE CITY -- In hopes of vanquishing what they consider a
64-year-old injustice, a small but vocal group of polygamous wives
and their supporters demonstrated in front of The Salt Lake Tribune,
the paper reported today.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

SALT LAKE CITY -- In hopes of vanquishing what they consider a
64-year-old injustice, a small but vocal group of polygamous wives
and their supporters demonstrated in front of The Salt Lake Tribune,
the paper reported today.

The Women's Religious Liberties Union, established in 1998, gathered
to protest newspaper and television depictions they say paint all
polygamists as incestuous, misogynous and abusive to women and
children.

But their real target, said the Tribune, is a 1935 Utah law that
turned bigamy into a felony instead of a misdemeanor, and a clause
that makes an outlaw of any person who "cohabits with another person."

They are not alone. The American Civil Liberties Union of Utah told
the paper that it plans to back the group's challenge to Utah's
bigamy law.

"Living arrangements are really the most intimate kinds of decisions
people make," said ACLU of Utah Legal Director Stephen Clark.
"Talking to Utah's polygamists is like talking to gays and lesbians
who really want the right to live their lives, and not live in fear
because of whom they love. So certainly that kind of privacy
expectation is something the ACLU is committed to protecting."

Utah's cohabitation clause was precisely aimed at polygamists, but is
in direct conflict with religious protections in the U.S.
Constitution, Religious Liberties Union spokeswoman Carol Smith told
the paper.

"We believe you can't discriminate against us because of our life
choices," Smith said. "What we want is very simple -- eliminate the
cohabitation clause of the bigamy law."

But the women's group faces rigid opposition, the Tribune reported.
The U.S. Supreme Court has previously ruled the First Amendment does
not exempt citizens from criminal anti-bigamy laws, although the ACLU
believes there is growing support to change that.

"The bigamy statute, like sodomy statutes (/issues/gay/sodomy.html)
and like other anachronistic moralistic legislation, goes to the core
of what the Supreme Court identifies as important fundamental privacy
rights," Clark told the paper.

In meetings held during the past several months, the ACLU and the
WRLU have mapped out potential assaults on Utah's bigamy statute.
While no path has been chosen, the likely routes are a constitutional
appeal of a bigamy conviction, or a push on Capitol Hill, where a
lawmaker may be persuaded to introduce legislation altering the 1935
law.

"Let's be proud of our heritage," Sidney Anderson, a plural wife and
member of WRLU told the crowd at the rally. "You don't have to live
polygamy, but please respect my freedom to practice my religion