[Vision2020] Ignorami, not ignoramuses

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Jul 2 12:50:40 PDT 2005

Trinacriagoddess et. al.

Shakespeare's creation of new words pales in comparison with the modern
master of language James Joyce, though I do not know for certain of any cases of
these words being recognized by those who write dictionaries.  Consider these
quotes from Joyce's mind boggling novel Finnegans Wake, a novel where Joyce
utilizes 17 different languages.  The whole "novel," if you can call it that in
any traditional sense, is written in this "made up" language:

End here. Us then. Finn, again! Take. Bussoftlhee, mememormee! Till
thousandsthee. Lps. The keys to. Given! A way a lone a last a loved a long the
riverrun, past Eve and Adam's, from swerve of shore to bend of bay, brings us by a
commodius vicus of recirculation back to Howth Castle and Environs.
(628.13 to 3.3)

and look at this prepronominal funferal, engraved and retouched and edgewiped
and puddenpadded, very like a whale's egg farced with pemmican, as were it
sentenced to be nuzzled over a full trillion times for ever and a night till his
noddle sink or swim by that ideal reader suffering from an ideal insomnia:
all those red raddled obeli cayennepeppercast over the text, calling unnecessary
attention to errors, omissions, repetitions and misalignments:
(120.9-16)

Yes, if you can make up a new word, and get enough people to use it, it will
eventually be added to the dictionary.  Go for it!

"Google," though it is a deliberate misspelling of the word for the number
"Googol," is already recognized as a new verb.  This happened rather quickly,
just since the introduction of the Internet search engine Google in 1998:

http://www.macmillandictionary.com/New-Words/030725-google.htm

google <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">or Google <I
style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">verb [I,T]
to use the Internet search engine Google™ to find information about someone
or something
Googling <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">noun [U]
Googler <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">noun [C]

‘… soon-to-be parents are Googling potential baby names to ensure their
future little angel won’t share his with a serial killer. An entrepreneur seeking
venture capital Googled himself to see if his reputation would pass the due
diligence process …’
(Dennis McCafferty, USA weekend.com, 28th April 2002)

V2020 Post by Ted Moffett