[Vision2020] The Future

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Fri Jul 1 10:22:21 PDT 2005

Phil,

The shipment of UI jobs to campuses elsewhere has
less to do with local real estate and a lot more
to do with the parochialism of the Idaho
Legislature. The Legislature, for reasons known
(Simplot, Micron, the Boise "mafia", etc) and
unknown have been doing their best to shave off
programs from the UI Moscow campus for over 20
years. The engineering programs have been their
largest target. You're right... those programs
stand the best chance of receiving grants that
focus on technology and they are to a large
extent going elsewhere. The University Place
project (before it turned into the debacle it now
is) was primarily a UI response to that
Legislative pressure.

Until the Legislature changes their tune on both
program emphasis location and appropriate
employee compensation, local Moscow development
issues are just about irrelevant to retaining a
quality research faculty at the UI.

Mark Solomon