[Vision2020] Next Posting on Proposed Latah County Land Ordinance

Jeff Harkins jeffh at moscow.com
Sun Jan 30 21:04:53 PST 2005

I am dedicating this post to Section 9.03 of the Proposed Ordinance.  This
section is entitled "Design Standards for all Outdoor Lighting".  I am
moving over Sections 3. 02 to 8 because I have exhausted all the hours
available to me for preparing commentary before the Tuesday Planning
Commission Meeting.

I will return to the skipped Sections after that meeting.

Section 9.03 is rather short and may best be digested if read in full - so
here it is:

SECTION 9.03 DESIGN STANDARDS FOR ALL OUTDOOR LIGHTING
9.03.01 APPLICABILITY
In order to conserve energy and reduce light pollution, all outdoor lights,
including lights
attached to any type of building or structure shall be:

    * 1. Equipped with a photo-sensor so they are automatically turned off
during daylight hours; and
    * 2. Of a design that does not allow light to travel up or
horizontally; and
    * 3. Lamped with high pressure sodium, metal halide, or compact
fluorescent lamps, or incandescent bulbs of 60 watts or less.

9.03.02 CHANGE IN USE
When application for a change of use or for a conditional use permit is
made, all existing lighting
must be brought into compliance with Section 9.03.01 of this ordinance.

9.03.03 QUASI-JUDICIAL DECISIONS
The Zoning Commission or the Board of Latah County Commissioners may set
stricter
conditions than are set in Section 9.03.01 of this ordinance for any type
of permit that comes
before them.

Now just sit back and reflect on this proposed County Wide
standard.  Imagine changing a tire or repairing a combine or field tractor,
installing your snow blower under a 60 watt incandescent bulb.  I can see
the next line of jokes about Idaho - How many 60 watt bulbs does it take to
change a tire in Idaho?  OR In Idaho, to save energy - residents are
required to purchase 60 watt luminaire fixtures (as many as it takes) to
get the light they need for a task.  Or try this - In Idaho, apparently
folks there aren't smart enough to know to turn off their lights in the
daytime because County Officials have required everyone to install photo
sensor lights to turn them off during daylight.

I can also imagine the headlines later this summer.  Remember the "breast
exposure" issue raised in Moscow a few summers ago.  Well apparently all
those folks who geared up with their protractors and compasses to determine
whether or not the breast was legally or illegally exposed will now have a
new task for their investment in equipment - then can go out and find
lights that are beaming rays out between 90 degrees and 270 degrees.  Sigh!!!

Come on folks - we have a lot of serious issues to be resolved in this
county.  The last thing we need is designation of the "Illumination Police".

Just so that you are fully informed, here are some price quotes for
replacement bulbs using the various options required by the proposed
ordinance - the price of the fixtures varies considerably.

Price is cost per each

23W outdoor flood flourescent BR 38     $ 28.04
12W NanoLux Spot                        $ 21.20
50W High Pressure Sodium                $ 10.88
50W Mercury Vapor                       $ 10.50
50W Metal Halide                        $ 10.88
50W BR 30 Flood Incandescent    $  3.74

I guess I trust the price system and the judgment of Latah's citizens to be
able to decide for themselves how much candlepower and lumens they need and
the means by which they provide it.

Again, please keep your comments coming - they have been helpful.

And try to attend the next meeting of the Latah Planning Commission on
Tuesday, February 1 at the Latah Courthouse at 5:30 pm,'

While no public testimony is scheduled to be allowed, the Commissioners are
expected to discuss their findings following the previous public hearing.

I urge you to draft a short letter to the Planning Commission requesting
that they table this ordinance until the public has had a chance to provide
full comment on the draft.