[Vision2020] Downtown Parking

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 28 20:34:40 PST 2005

Visionaries,

I would like to point out errors in reasoning and comprehension in Mr.
Nelson's stated  observations.

" Ironically, NSA’s occupation of the Verizon building has created
the need for additional downtown parking, not because they bring
more shoppers to the area, but because they (faculty & students)
use parking spaces that would otherwise be filled by “shoppers and
employees.” In other words, NSA’s presence downtown frustrates
specific objectives declared by the city planners. (Hopefully most
people can distinguish between a student shopper and business
shopper.)"

Well, ironically, NSA's faculty and students do meet the definition of
shoppers and employees. The employees provide a service to the students that
they paid for in payments or in advance.  I also a, willing to bet that the
parents of those students that PAY for services provided by NSA are also
TAXPAYERS. I am also willing to bet those capable of sending their children
to a private school are also paying a higher portion of the taxes than the
general population of Moscow that supports the roads and public utilities in
the downtown area.

By saying, "(Hopefully most people can distinguish between a student shopper
and business shopper.)" Are you saying that one group of people is better
than another group of people because  they choose to spend their money on
education rather than pizza or a movie? Students bring in more than 60% of
the money in the county, and I believe 80% of the money in the city.

Why isn't anyone bitching about the Chamber of Commerce, DAC, CDHD,
Goodwill, or the countless number of other services and offices upstairs in
those buildings that don't sell anything or are non-profit? Give me a break!
Some people are just targeting the NSA because they don't like them. It is
that cut and dry. In the past, Verizon that was in the same place where NSA
is now and that didn't count for what is a commercial industry according to
City Code because it wasn't selling anything, it was just operating there.

Selective enforcement of the law on the basis or religion is discrimination.

Take care,

Donovan J Arnold

PS the Farmer's Market also takes up downtown parking and is not a downtown
business, that is against City Code too, should we ban that? Oh, wait! It is
isn't a religious event so it is OK to viiolate the law in this
case--selective enforcement, right-o, I keep forgetting.