[Vision2020] Moscow Animal Ordinances

Kit Craine kcraine at moscow.com
Fri Jan 28 14:08:43 PST 2005

Saundra,

These are the result of a request I made to council during an open mic
period back in September, after my Old Dog and I were attacked one to
many times on public sidewalks by dogs that were legally loose in their
front yards at the time they decided to get us.

My concern was requiring that dogs be confined, tethered, or leashed at
all time so pedestrians (and old dogs) can walk anywhere in town
without having to worry about collecting fang-holes. Randy Fife went a
step farther and recommended a complete revision of the animal control
ordinance. That was a good idea because the existing code is a bit out
of date. For example, it is more concerned with grazing animals being
herded down alleys than whether dogs are being fed and watered.

The versions that are online are meant to generate discussion. At the
last Administrative Committee meeting, the discussion focused on having
a subcommittee that could throughly discuss and evaluate various
topics. Hopefully, it would have people from a variety of viewpoints so
any revisions can carry Moscow forward for many years to come.

Kit Craine