[Vision2020] Re: Zoning Code and NSA (archives ) READ § 4-11-9 (80) and §...

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 22:50:02 PST 2005

Saundra,

I am glad you are enjoying conversation about law. I love it too. It is fun.
I also second your motion that anyone that doesn't like this type of
conversation should hit the delete key.

We can obviously debate endlessly many different aspects of the law and more
specifically MCC. But I am going to choose to only respond to you in the
area of regarding whether NSA can or cannot legally stay downtown because of
time restrains. If we meet in person, I would like to discuss the reasons
why NSA cannot be in AF, FR, R-1, R-2, R-3, and R-4 zones, which are mostly
agricultural and residential areas.

As I understand your argument, you claim that New St. Andrews cannot be in
the downtown area because two reasons.

The first reason being that you think it fits the definition of an
educational institution which is excluded by law as defined by MCC in the
CBZ. The definition of "Educational institution" is defined as follows,

>"A college or university supported by public or private funds, tuitions,
>contributions or endowments, giving advanced academic instructions as
>approved
>by the State Board of Education or by a recognized accrediting agency,
>excluding
>preschool, elementary and junior or senior high schools, and trade and
>commercial schools; including fraternity and sorority houses."

I maintain that his is NOT a definition of NSA. The reason being is because
of this line,

"giving advanced academic instructions as approved by the State Board of
Education or by a recognized accrediting agency".

This means that NSA must have received accreditation by the Idaho State
Board of Education or another national accrediting instruction recognized by
Idaho State Statue for it to meet this definition. This is not an
interpretive definition of if you think it meets this criterion or not.
There are in fact only 11 colleges and universities that meet this
definition according to Idaho Statue. No black and white here, they are;

Colleges and universities accredited by the Idaho State Board of Education

http://www.accessidaho.org/education/suniv.html

Albertsons College of Idaho
Boise State University
Brigham Young University
College of Southern Idaho
Eastern Idaho Technical College
Idaho State University
Lewis-Clark State College
North Idaho College
Northwest Nazarene University
University of Idaho
Wesley Center for Applied Technology

Colleges and Universities accredited by NWCCU

http://www.nwccu.org/Directory%20of%20Inst/State%20Map/Idaho/Idaho.htm

Albertsons College of Idaho
Boise State University
Brigham Young University
College of Southern Idaho
Eastern Idaho Technical College
Idaho State University
Lewis-Clark State College
North Idaho College
Northwest Nazarene University
University of Idaho

NSA is not on that list, so it does not meet this definition, there is no
if, ands, or buts about it. It is on the list or not. NSA is not. To be
recognized as existing as a school by the State Board is not enough. Its
academic instructions must meet state standards as defined by Idaho Statue.
NSA doesn't meet the state standards of teaching higher education. Wishing
NSA on the list of accredited colleges because we think it should be does
not make it so. It is not on that list, and it has to be in order to meet
that definition, you cannot ignore that sentence in that definition or make
it mean what you want it to mean.

The second argument made, as I understand it, is that is that it doesn't
meet the definition of "Commercial School" because it is not for profit.

I maintain that while it is a non-profit entity, this is not the legal
definition of commercial. Commercial in MCC is defined as selling a product
or service. NSA does sell a service.

NSA not meeting the legal definition of an institute of higher learning is
counter intuitive to the layman’s definition which I think is what is
preventing people from thinking properly about this. NSA also DOES meet the
definition of a commercial school as defined by law regardless of if we
think that meets our understanding of what commercial means. We are not
dealing with Webster's definition of meanings or terms, we are looking at
legal terms. Those are way different. The law doesn't prevent NSA from being
downtown if you read the law and the definitions. Get NSA accredited by
either NWCCU or the Idaho State Board and you will have a case.

Thanks for the conversation Saundra. :)

Take care,

Donovan J Arnold