[Vision2020] They're coming to take your land--Follow our leaderJeffHarkins!

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 26 18:58:08 PST 2005

Janice,

I agree with you that not everyone fits any label or category well. However,
I don't believe that I did label you. I believe it was you that categorized
yourself by saying that you are opposite of Mr. Harkins on the political
spectrum.

I also did not say that Republicans agree with Bush on everything or not. I
am sure they don't, but voting for him is the same as agreeing to continue
with his policies. There was nobody there holding a gun to their head saying
vote for Bush or Kerry. Those that voted Bush are responsible for the
decisions that Bush has made in the past and that he is continuing now. They
should be able, willing, and proud to defend their decision to continue
these policies.

In terms of the of the Land Use ordinance, there is only one of two areas
that can be wrong with any legislation. The first is the structure and
mechanics of the bill. This includes codification, grammar, legal
definitions, and detail (structure of legislation meeting Idaho Code). The
second is the actual laws and regulations themselves, i.e., how many cattle
per square mile, limitations on dumping solid waste, building codes (fair or
unfair content of the legislation).

Most of the complaints that are being stated are people that wish to
redebate already existing laws. I don't think we should redebate every law
that has been in existence for the last 10-200 years. That is stupid, a
waste of time, and not an achievable goal. There is a solid history in
Idaho, Latah, and Federal that has lead to these laws. Further, even if you
were to debate every single law and the majority agreed on a change, you
still could not change most of them anyway because they are decided in the
Federal and State level.

Your argument, as I understand it, is with the mechanics of the bill. You
may be correct that the mechanics of the bill could be improved. However,
this is a trained skill. Mechanics of legislation requires years of
legislative experience, extensive education in law, or extensive education
in administrative management. Unless you are one of these your input is
probably not any better than that of the input to doctors on heart
transplantation drugs to prevent organ rejection in a person with diabetes
and type -B blood.

Are you, Mr. Harkins, and the Joe Smith landowner able to understand the
legal mechanics of writing law? Do you know all segments of Idaho State Code
and Federal Regulations regarding wording, legal definitions, and
codification regarding the writing law? You must know this to the write the
Land Use Ordinance. You must also be aware that all changes made to the
content of the law cannot be in conflict with any other State or Federal
law. Do you know enough about all Federal and State regulations to do this?

How an ordinance is codified is regulated. How an ordinance is worded is
regulated. If you don't know those regulations, you cannot write the
legislation.

We do not live in a direct democracy. We leave in a representative
democracy. We don't vote on how the sewer system should be designed. We vote
to elect people to hire the experts to make design our sewer system. We
don't vote on the wing design of the airplanes. We vote for people to hire
aeronautical engineers that are knowledgeable to do this. The same holds
true for writing of the law. You need someone with the experience and
education to do it for you.

The people have a right to make demands. If they don't like the way
something is, they need to petition the government, in this case the County
Commissioners, the Idaho State Legislature, and their US members of Congress
to fix something in their daily lives.

However, saying that you don't like the way the law is written so we are
going to storm the board and write the law ourselves, is like saying we
don't like the fact that doctors are not curing cancer so we are going to
storm the hospitals and perform the surgery ourselves.

This is mob mentality. It solves nothing. If people that are untrained in
the area of law and writing legislation are to write the zoning codes you
are going to end up with laws that are unenforceable, in violation of
federal and state code, contradicting, unclear to legal experts and massive
confusion by those that are required to enforce the law.

I am not saying that people are not smart enough to understand the law. Nor
am I saying that people should not be involved in the legal making process.
Nor am I saying that all the laws and the mechanics of the laws are as good
as they can be. What I am saying is that unless someone has those years or
experience and/or in writing law they should stick to their input being
about what they think is fair or unfair and explaining to those that are
capable of writing law to word for them in accordance with current local,
state and federal regulations.

I believe we need to allow the board members, county commissioners, and law
enforcement a chance to do their jobs before jumping on their case. People
like Mr. Harkins are trying to pretend to be experts in the area of
understanding the law. They are not. And it is very clear based on his usage
of legal terminology. He has already used several words incorrectly in an
attempt to sound like he knows what he talking about. He does not, and that
is obvious to anyone with any law writing experience. He also fails to
realize that a word in a legal document does not necessarily have the same
definition and meaning in his Webster dictionary or in everyday use.

To be honest, I cannot help but to laugh at this. Mr. Harkins and his way of
thinking reminds me of the story of the little boy when shown pictures of
the most wanted people in America asked, "Why don't they just arrest them
went they took the picture?". A reasonable question, but a failure to
understand the entirety of the situation.

Mr. Harkins has a gift to lead people, and to convince people of certain
ideas. However, he uses his talents and speaking abilities to attack,
mislead, and destroy, not to create. I have never seen Mr. Harkins support
any idea that was not his own.
Those that follow Mr. Harkins deserve the legislation they are going to get
for it.

Take care,

Donovan J Arnold