[Vision2020] They're coming to take your land--Follow our leaderJeffHarkins!

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Wed Jan 26 09:38:30 PST 2005

Donovan and other visionaries.

I had meant to respond to this before our invasion by trolls.  In your
message you say:

> I can certainly understand your concern and that you have issues with land
> owner rights.

I lurked on this list for several weeks before putting in a message and I
want to say that one of the biggest impediments to genuine communication on
this list is the willingness of some people here to label others, and then,
having decided that label (be if liberal, Christian, butcher, baker or
candlestick maker) go on to assume that the person agrees with all of the
positions of that label, lock, stock and barrel.  For example, why would one
assume that just because a person is a Republican, that they would be in
complete agreement with everything that Bush has done in his presidency?  Of
course that is silly and if you listened to the recent confirmation
hearings, you would have noticed that some very tough questions were coming
from *both* sides of the aisle, Republican and Democrat alike.

Likewise, you have assumed here that because I question whether we should
proceed with the land use ordinance in its present condition, that I have
issues with land owner rights.  In fact, many have gone so far as to paint
this issue in totally black and white terms--people with problems with the
ordinance are raging land owner rightists and people who support it are
foaming at the mouth collectivists.

Doesn't that kind if labeling really get in the way of communication?

There was nothing in any of my communications on this topic that said that I
was for or against land owner rights.  To put such words in my mouth and
then paint me with a broad paintbrush is inaccurate.  I said that the
document needed more work.  The committee has done an excellent job with
what they had to work with but they lacked a crucial element--they had been
unable to get public comment throughout the process because they were not
using effective methods of alerting the public about these meetings.  So a
crucial step was missed.

Instead of going ahead with the document in its present form, I am
recommending that they go back and get the step they missed. And in doing so
they can *also* address some of the more recent threats to the safety and
wellbeing of everyone in the county that have come up since this document
was initially drafted, that being the risk from mining and depletion of our
water resources.

In no way does that categorize me as being either for or against property
owner rights.  That is a false dichotomy that you have injected into the
discussion.

In fact, to want this ordinance to be as good as it can be could be
considered a valid expression of someone earnestly concerned with land use
planning, someone who doesn't want a poor ordinance passed because of how it
harms this process.

So please stop labeling me.  Everyone, stop labeling everyone!  Whether you
are liberal, conservative, it doesn't matter. Labeling it is just prejudice.
It causes you to "pre-judge" another person. And it really gets in the way
of understanding each other and improving our community.

JW