[Vision2020] Happy Birthday

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 26 14:30:54 PST 2005

Sunil -

The same type of thing happened in Vietnam under Johnson.  Westmoreland lied
about body counts, how the VC were constantly outnumbered, how we were
advancing, how the war would be over soon.  That was during 1967.  Tet '68
changed everything.  It showed that Westmoreland had been lying to Johnson.
Johnson, unlike our current president, resigned as felt that he had lied to
the American people based upon intelligence (and reports) provided to him by
Westmoreland and his (Johnson's) cabinet.  Johnson assumed the moral high
ground, assumed full responsibility, and withdrew from the 1968 election.  I
hated him for withdrawing form the election.  I felt that had he stuck it
out, he would have beaten Nixon and our troops would have been home a lot
sooner than 1975.

Current estimations (discussed last night on a news show, of which the name
escapes me) are that we would require 150,000 troops on the ground in Iraq
for the next two years (at a MINIMUM).

How many more body bags are we going to fill before somebody at 1600
Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC assumes some level of responsibility and
decides it is time to bring our troops home?

We could learn a lot from crayons: some are sharp, some are pretty, some are
dull, some have weird names, and all are different colors....but they all
exist very nicely in the same box.

  _____