[Vision2020] Comments of Interest

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Wed Jan 26 06:26:55 PST 2005

>From today's (January 26, 2005) "The Skew" (http://www.theskew.com/) -

You Can Keep Your Frat-boy Brand of Freedom, But Thanks Anyway!

In an extremely high 'n' mighty inauguration speech last Thursday (heck,
much like Jake and Elwood, he's on a mission from God), George W. Bush made
it painfully clear that he was seeking more pledges in his fraternity of
forced freedom. (Cue Flock of Seagulls music: And Iran...Iran so far
away...) John Kennedy spoke of defending liberty wherever it was in peril.
George W. speaks of indoctrinating it wherever and whenever he sees fit.
Aside from the fact that his mission seems perhaps insanely idealistic, what
qualifies him for it?

He very plainly labeled his enemy as tyranny. It's very plainly disturbing
to me that enemies were the focus of his speech. It's also disturbing that
as fond as he seems to be of having enemies, he didn't feel comfortable
enough to utter the words "Iraq" or even "terrorism." But rest assured, if
he no longer considers Iraqis or Al Qaeda to be the enemy, then he'll make
more.

He claimed human freedom is the only force that can overcome tyranny, but he
chose to leave out the most likely explanation of how tyrants come to power
to begin with. Upheaval occurs when people can't feed their families, not
because of the differences in political parties, which are probably in
reality not that different at all. Poverty is the reason that megalomaniacal
bullies are able to seize power.

Wait a minute? Most of us were eating just fine. How did this president who
collects enemies as if they were action figures get into office? I can only
speculate that he has brainwashed our nation with his frat boy mentality. Do
as I say, and don't be like you. Hopefully, our reflexes are still sharp
enough to dodge him when he's coming at us with a lit cigarette so we don't
get burned too badly when we are forced to endure for four more years of
hazing.

Take care,

A good friend will come and bail you out of jail.  But a true friend will be
sitting next to you saying, "Damn . . . that was fun!"