[Vision2020] NSA is NOT illegal?

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 22 16:54:20 PST 2005

Visioneers,

I for one must, in part, agree with Eric Martin and Phil Roderick on this
one issue. While I am disgusted by the teachings of New St. Andrews, and I
pray the students learn enough to know what a bunch of garbage Calvinism is
and how they are just worshiping something that is not real, just the idea
of one man, and under the leadership of false prophets, I believe in their
right to practice their beliefs. I feel that this is simply a witch hunt
against a group of people in our community that have a different way of
thinking and believing than the majority of us.

Many of you seem to lose sight of the fact that the law was invented to
serve people, not people to serve the law.  A few points to make about the
law;

First, laws are written by humans. Humans make mistakes; they cannot take
every conceivable happenstance into consideration over the next 1-200 years.
The law needs to be changed, adapted, altered, and exceptions need to be
granted.  Laws are messed up, flawed, inconsistent, unfair, out of date, and
short sighted. That doesn't mean that we can just ignore them. What is does
mean is that we must look at why something is a law or why there is not a
law, and change that law or grant exceptions for the purpose of helping
others to best suit the rights and needs of those that it governs.

Laws are not meant for the following reasons;

1) To target individuals that you disagree with that aren't doing anything
to anyone else

2) To enforce prejudice directly or indirectly

3) To silence or harass those that you dislike of disagree with

Even if the Moscow City Code stated, "New St. Andrew's cannot be downtown"
It would still be legal for them to do so. If it was written in city code
that no college can be downtown, it would still be legal. If city code said
no college, or religious institution could be downtown, it still would be
legal for them to do so. The reason why is because the first amendment to
the constitution guarantees them the right to be there. They have the right
to express themselves and their beliefs regardless of if it makes are
stomachs turn. The only exception is if there was a valid public concern,
such as a serious public or safety concern, or if they were blatantly
violating the rights of another group downtown.

It is my belief that the city code was written for the purposes of
preventing the University of Idaho from expanding downtown. To use it for
the purposes of singling out a private college that practices a religion and
ideology that we disagree with is just plain wrong.

While I am sure that many of our members of the city council and the
planning and zoning committee vary in their tolerance and acceptance of CC
or NSA, I am confident that they will do what is fair to everyone and not
abuse the law to violate the constitutional rights of members of NSA.

Nobody has given a fair and sound reason as to why NSA should not be where
they are now, other than, an old law, and that they just don't like them
there. Those are not valid, liable, substantial reasons to deny someone
their right to practice their religious and ideological beliefs.

Denying people their rights is not a judgment about them; it is a judgment
about you.

Donovan J Arnold