[Vision2020] NSA illegal?

Eric Martin rik82 at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 22 12:41:46 PST 2005

A few questions asked in the spirit of trying to get a
better grasp on the issues.

1.  The last couple of emails have given me the
impresseion that "educational instituions" that are
not written into the zoning ordience as ok are
prohibited.  I read the zoning ordienance and while
section 3.5.7 specifically included:

"commercial schools, churches, synagogues, mosques,
governmental offices,libraries, museums, art galleris,
police and fire station, and similiar public or
private instituions"

...as  permitted principle uses and structures -- I
don't see anything that specifies any non-permitted
uses and structures used for educational purposes.  So
someone is gonna have to explain to me how the
conclusion was reached that trade/professional schools
are o.k., but other types of schools are not.

I'm not interested in who does or doesn't like Wilson.
 I want to know on what grounds this interpretaion of
zoning ordinance comes from. My knowledge of the city
ordinances is pretty weak, so perhaps this is a simple
issue that everybody else on the list is already clear
on.  But I would like some explanation.

2.  How is it that NSA, as contoversial as that
instituion and its affiliated church have been, was
able to open their doors as an educational institution
if that was an illegal activity in their current
locatation in the first place?  Were none of the
citizens of this town -- including the city council --
aware of the zoning ordienance?  It seems like this
issue should have come up long ago.  Why didn't it?

Thanks in advance for whatever clarification on these
two issue members of the list can offer.

Eric