[Vision2020] NSA & Property Tax (was NSA illegal?)

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Sat Jan 22 12:36:51 PST 2005

Mike Curley wrote:
"NSA was ordered last summer by the Latah County Commmissioners to be taxed on
one-half of the building because it was not exclusively used for educational
purposes.  I believe the NSA appeal of that determination is pending--if
unsuccessful, they will be required to pay tax on that half of the building for
this tax year, but not for prior years."

Hi Mike,

I don't want to muddy the waters but perhaps clarify just a bit, if I might,
with respect to the property tax status of NSA.

NSA occupies two adjacent parcels:  north and south.  The Latah County BOE found
non-exclusive use for educational purposes of the *north* parcel and revoked
property tax exemption for that parcel.  NSA appealed that decision to the Idaho
Board of Tax Appeals (IBTA), and that decision is still pending, as you very
clearly explained -- thanks!

The BOE decision on the *south* NSA parcel was split (with Commissioner Kimmell
recusing himself).  In the case of an even split, the status quo is upheld, so
that south parcel remained exempt from property tax.

However, Rose Huskey and I were granted intervenor status and appealed the BOE
decision on the *south* parcel.  Among other things, testimony was given at the
IBTA hearing in November that there was also non-exclusive use of that south
parcel.  Specifically, Zume Bakery apparently uses part of the basement in the
south parcel for storage, and a bookkeeping business also was located in the
south parcel.

On the basis of the testimony given and evidence submitted at the IBTA hearing,
we anticipate revocation of property tax exemption for the *south* parcel on the
basis of that non-exclusive use.

IBTA ruling on the *south* parcel is still pending as well.

I hope this help, and thanks for the opportunity to further clarify NSA's
current property exempt status.

Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.