[Vision2020] Re: The consequences of losing the Iraq war

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 20 09:26:42 PST 2005

Oh, just wait, Coop . . . as the daughter of an Air Force enlisted man and the daughter-in-law of a retired Marine Corps Captain who did two tours of duty in Vietnam (one participating in Operation Prairie II -- a nasty little battle in which the 3/3/3 Marines took horrific casualties for the sake of temporary control of a piece of hilly real estate), I have only just begun to share my snippets of military history with you and the ill-informed Ms. Kraut.  And, of course, there's still my lecture on Korea, the forgotten war, to be enjoyed, my reprise of the Guns of August, and the many, many things I have to say about our clandestine operations in Central and South America over the last century and a half.

We're not good at guerilla warfare.  We've a poor history at putting down local insurgencies.  In short, we are not Rome.  And I, for one, am glad of that.

A cheery Bay of Pigs to you on this, Lt. Bush's second inauguration day,
Joan/Auntie E.