[Vision2020] The consequences of losing the Iraq war

Bill London london at moscow.com
Thu Jan 20 09:19:43 PST 2005

My thanks to Joan Opyr for some of the most stirring prose I have ever read about this war.  Specifically her last paragraph from her posting of Wed (below).  Her words have really enlivened this list.
BL
  It's easy to argue that we can't afford to lose Iraq.  It's also easy to see that we can't afford to keep it.  That's our conundrum, isn't it?  We've broken it, but we can't afford to buy it, and so we're not allowed to leave the store.  Here's my tragic prediction, ready to be printed out and time-capsuled for your reading pleasure in the year 2034: Iraq will be run by an oppressive Shiite militia.  We'll do business with them because we need their oil; they'll do business with us because they need our money.  There will be no democracy in Baghdad, but there will be a new memorial wall in Washington, DC, and on it will be the names of thousands of US soldiers, missed by their families, mourned by their children, and forgotten by their government.