[Vision2020] Bush to Seniors: Sorry for All of Them ExtraGrayHairs

R2Privacy Right2Privacy at adelphia.net
Thu Jan 13 07:46:19 PST 2005

Tom,

"Mr."?
Also from the article:

"The traditionalist camp includes organized labor, minority and liberal
interest groups, and many if not most congressional Democrats...
Modernizers, who span the spectrum from center-left to center-right, hold
that Social Security's problems can't be fixed with the usual tucks and
tweaks. Most favor some version of the "two-tiered" approach that would
divert a small portion (usually 2 percentage points) of payroll taxes into
personal retirement accounts for every worker. This group includes prominent
Democratic senators such as Daniel Patrick Moynihan of New York, Bob Kerrey
of Nebraska, and John Breaux of Louisiana;"

"Traditionalists want the government to invest and control the money;
modernizers want individuals to manage and own their own retirement
accounts. While endorsing market-based reform, President Clinton thus far
has refrained from taking sides on the question of means, leaving himself
free to act as an honest broker."

"The grand bargain sketched here would renegotiate, not abandon, the social
compact implicit in Social Security. It would offer working Americans new
opportunities to build personal wealth while asking them to take greater
responsibility for their retirement security. It would convert Social
Security from an entitlement based on the false promise that everyone can
consume more than they produce to a system that promotes savings,
investment, and greater economic self-reliance. And it would embody a new
approach to governing based on a key New Democrat insight: That in the
Information Age, government's role is not to take care of us, but to give us
the tools we need to take care of ourselves and each other."

Don't believe I misled you, Tom.  Or were you cherrypicking the article to
win your point?