[Vision2020] RE: Tsunamis and God (was Gary Larson...)

Carl Westberg carlwestberg846 at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 12 08:08:53 PST 2005

Attributing the tragedy of December 26th to a wrathful God is one
explanation.  Another is, borrowing from the BBC News World Edition website,
is that "Sumatra, or north-western Indonesia, is right on a plate boundary.
The plate that has the Indian Ocean on it is moving roughly north-east and
colliding with Sumatra.  And as that collision takes place, the Indian Ocean
plate gets subducted underneath Sumatra, and as that plate is subducted it
breaks up and that is what causes the earthquake."  Sounds like a logical
explanation to me.  But then again, my knowledge of geology begins and ends
with something about sedimentary rocks.  My interest was piqued somewhat
when the geology professor mentioned cleavage, but, alas, it had something
to do with stupid old rocks.

Carl Westberg Jr.  k