[Vision2020] Recall Question

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 11 21:01:21 PST 2005

Visionaries:

In yesterday's Daily News, it was reported that:
"Petitioners have 60 days from the date of authorization to gather signatures
from 20 percent of the voters registered in the last general city election."

Even though the recall effort doesn't seem to be making any progress (an effort,
BTW, I wouldn't/won't be joining), I'd like to have a better understanding of
the process.  Nothing new here, but I'm confused.

According to Idaho Code 34-1704:
"Upon approval as to form, the secretary of state, county clerk, or city clerk,
shall inform the person or persons, organization or organizations under whose
authority the recall petition is to be circulated, in writing, that the petition
must be perfected with the required number of certified signatures within
seventy-five (75) days following the date of approval as to form."

While I know the City of Moscow allows only 60 days for referendum & initiative
petitions (Title 1, Section 5-5 of the Moscow City Code), my understanding was
that we follow state statutes with respect to recall efforts.  So, I'd think the
75 day deadline (once form is approved) would hold.

Can anyone please clarify for me?

TIA,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID