[Vision2020] Gary Larson on one of today's headlines

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Mon Jan 10 11:35:21 PST 2005

In pursuance of Moffett's First Axiom, I'll wade in here (but I promise to
keep it reasonably brief!).

Wayne writes:

"When searching for "the truth" it may be useful to understand that some
statements are neither true nor false.  For example:

" 'The square root of blue recrystalizes sodomy.' "

"Just because words can be strung together in an apparently syntactically
correct sentence doesn't mean the sentence has a comprehensible, literal,
testable meaning."

This example demonstrates an interesting property of language:  it can be
used to construct syntactically correct nonsense statements--thus allowing
us to derive rules of syntax for individual languages, and even,
potentially, basic principles about language itself.

Wayne goes on to say,

"In your quest for "the truth" you might watch out for these kind of
assertions.  Religion, philosophy, politics, etc. are rife with such
statements.  These assertions are generally recognizable by the practical
impossibility of being neither unequivocally confirmable nor falsifiable or
for the establishment of any significant probability of thier truth.  The
latter two cases is often especially the case."

But here I believe you're drawing a false conclusion, Wayne.  There is a
categorical difference between syntactically flawless nonsense sentences,
which by their nature are not intended to contain meaning for speakers, and
sentences which do not contain literal or testable meanings, but which have
some contingent and deferred meaning for speakers.  Your implication, of
course, is that such statements as "In the beginning was the Word" are
simply nonsense, on a par with your "square root of blue," while other
statements are verifiably true--say, "You just can't prove the existence of
God."

As a student of post-modern French linguistics and theory, I have to smile
at the notion that any language at all is literal or testable.  There is a
certain naivete in the belief that some words are more literal than others.
The free play of the signifier means that all meaning is contingent,
endlessly dependent on a chain of connotations without any ultimate
referents outside the system of language.  What seems quite demonstrably a
fact contained in a literally true sentence to you is itself as subject to
slippage, incoherence, and misprision as any prophetic utterance by Habbakuk
or Nahum.

Secondarily, it seems to me quite dangerous to assert that language must be
subject to tests of literality in order to be comprehensible.  Since there
is no meaningful connection between a signifier and a signified, what can
literality mean?  Inherent in the notion of literal, testable, language is
the premise that some kinds of experience are more "real" than others, and
that you or I can determine the reality of another person's experience by
comparing it to our own.  I find both of these ideas nearly impossible to
defend, owing to the circularity of the proof, "I experienced it, therefore
it is real."

Hurrah for Derrida!

Melynda Huskey