[Vision2020] Gary Larson on one of today's headlines

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Jan 10 10:48:48 PST 2005

RE: [Vision2020] Gary Larson on one of today's headlinesRon,

As expected, you only reassert your position, without giving any verifiable evidence to support it.  C. S. Pierce in his essay "The Fixation of Belief" called such ways of fixing belief the Method of Tenacity.  The users of such methods have contributed little or nothing, save acting as a bad example, to the advancement of knowledge or to the alleviation of the causes of suffering of humankind.

Rather than argue about first principles, Occam's Razor, etc.  I recycle the post below, slightly altered.  Consider the last paragraphs in the light of the discussion of the quotes from Mark (also appended) in a recent thread on V 2020.

When searching for "the truth" it may be useful to understand that some statements are neither true nor false.  For example:

"The square root of blue recrystalizes sodomy."

Just because words can be strung together in an apparently syntactically correct sentence doesn't mean the sentence has a comprehensible, literal, testable meaning.

In your quest for "the truth" you might watch out for these kind of assertions.  Religion, philosophy, politics, etc. are rife with such statements.  These assertions are generally recognizable by the practical impossibility of being neither unequivocally confirmable nor falsifiable or for the establishment of any significant probability of thier truth.  The latter two cases is often especially the case.

A parable derived from an example written by an apostate Catholic disciple of Wittgenstein intended to illustrate the point of Occam's Razor may be helpful as an illustration to you.

Neighbors A & B were having an over-the-back-fence discussion: