[Vision2020] Gary Larson on one of today's headlines

Donovan Arnold donovanarnold at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 8 22:06:19 PST 2005

Wayne Fox writes,

"a NUCLEAR submarine whose breakup would likely cause a cataclysmic
radio-active incident with not only the tragic loss of American lives, but
tremendous, extremely devastating, long-lasting adverse effects on the
immediately surrounding seas which would proliferate and likely cause very
widespread damage -- a Chernobyl without the built in terrestrial
restraints."

Ummm, no, it would not Mr. Fox. Maybe we would be in danger if this was 1975
and we were driving 1955 Soviet made subs. Fact is it is virtually
impossible for that to occur. You watch way to many movies. Chernobyl
happened because they shut down the cooling system on purpose for a test and
could not restart it causing a melt down. If they were able to cool the
reactor it would not have happened. Now, let us just say, we had a 50 year
old nuclear sub, what might we use to cool the nuclear reactor to prevent a
meltdown? Humm, any ideas, any at all?

I am frankly more concerned about the people that suffered head injuries. It
is easy to bang into the ground or a mountain on the ocean floor. They don't
have windows ya know. They use sonar. If the crew is practicing tight
maneuvers in an underwater valley it is easy come across an unexpected
mountain or big rock. For all we know it might have happened in trying to
avoid an underwater rock slide.

Whatever the cause, I don't think it is justified to attack people
protecting us that where injured doing so by calling them stupid and making
cartoon jokes about them. I feel a little offended by this, in part because
my father served nearly 20 years in the US Navy and designed the electronics
for the Tomahawk Cruise Missile that this submarine was carrying, four of
them in fact. So please reframe from attacking the people that risking their
life to protect you from harm. Say what you want about their political
leaders.

Take Care,

Donovan J Arnold