[Vision2020] The recall redux

Joan Opyr auntiestablishment at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 6 11:15:27 PST 2005

Joan writes:

I agree that the recall should be discussed on 2020, but I think it's important to take note of the way in which this recall is being conducted -- in the dark, the petition being circulated by "anonymous" businessmen .  .

To which John replies:

"Why is it important to take note?  Why not just support the decision of the council?"

Because there's something deeply suspicious about a closet recall?  Isn’t it the  equivalent of a secret election?  Who, besides Gerry Weitz (who doesn't actually live in Moscow and so can neither sign his own petition nor vote in city elections) wants to recall Dickinson, Chaney, and Pall?  And why?  What are the reasons?  And I mean the actual reasons, not the specious excuses given to the Daily News.  The 1912 Center does not cost millions, and there is no cabal on the city council against parochial schools.  So why recall these three city councilors?  Is this about water?  Is this about growth?  Is there something Gray Davis about them?  Is there an Arnold waiting in the wings?  Who, exactly, is behind this petition?

Again Joan writes:

Now, you ask what's sleazy, what's sinister, what's irrational and little boy about this recall effort?

And John says:

“But I didn’t ask!!  I suggested that the words used above were not directed at the recall effort but at Dr. Weitz.  Why not engage in civil discourse without inflammatory language?  Why not discuss the issues and not the people?  The fact that the DN reported this interview on page one is why I don’t read it.”

Okay, John, you didn't ask.  I apologize for my use of that particular rhetorical device.  True, inflammatory language has been used, and it has been directed at Dr. Weitz.  That might have something to do with Weitz's use of inflammatory language in his Daily News interview in which he went on at length about "crushing" people and generally foamed and frothed.  I hate to use the term "asking for it," but the Daily News article (which you didn't read?) invited a harsh and perhaps even a personal response.  In short, it was loony.

Please note: I am not calling Dr. Weitz a loony.  I'm saying his interview was loony.  We could blame that on the Daily News, if you like.  Perhaps they cut out all the sane and coherent quotes in order to achieve that Daffy Duck "rabbit season-duck season" effect, but when someone talks about crushing certain city council members, I think of that ongoing Kids in the Hall sketch: "I’m crushing your head!  I’m crushing your head!  Ha!  Flat-head!"  Sounds nuts to me.

And lastly Joan writes:

I think it's worth noting that neither Lois nor Bill are entirely subsumed by the Moscow Civic Association.  They are members of that organization, but first and foremost, they are private citizens, and they are taxpaying residents of the City of Moscow.  Why assume when they speak, they speak always for the MCA?  Sometimes, unless they indicate otherwise, I would assume they speak for themselves.

And John says:

“I don’t think I assumed that they were speaking for anyone but themselves, but the fact that they both have a close association with the MCA is appropriate.”

As far as I know, Bill has no official role within the MCA.  I could be wrong -- perhaps he’s the official press agent -- but I believe that, like me, he's just a member.  If so, then that would mean that his association with the group is no closer than my own.  I’m also a member of Planned Parenthood, the ACLU, and the Eva Cassidy Fan Club, but I don’t speak for these groups.  (And they are grateful to me for that.)  As for Lois, she's very careful to indicate when she's speaking on behalf of the MCA.  When she speaks for herself, she's careful not to use her title as MCA president.  That should clear up any confusion.  There should be no need for her to add "President of the MCA but not speaking for them at the present time in any way, shape, or form."

BTW, the MCA is a non-partisan group.  They endorsed Chaney and Dickinson, true, but so did several other Moscow individuals and organizations.  Chaney and Dickinson did not run as "The Official MCA Candidates."  That's not how the MCA operates.

Joan Opyr/Auntie Establishment Get more from the Web.  FREE MSN Explorer download : http://explorer.msn.com