[Vision2020] The Superior Intellects Who Silence Discussion

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Sat Jan 1 13:15:13 PST 2005

Brad et. al.

I indicated in my post that "dullards" was not your wording.

Your previous post sounded exactly as I might express myself, in regard to
people who, as you pointed out, can't explain how to program a computer chip or
DNA sequencing, yet think they have the final word that we all should follow
on the Supreme Being.  Though many of the "saved" among us pose as humble
servants of the Lord, there is an implied extreme arrogance in claiming to have the
ultimate truth regarding these questions, and telling the rest of the world
who believe differently that they are doomed to hell.

My point was merely that often on V2020 a subject comes up that some people
don't like to hear, for whatever reason.  And then complaints are posted to the
list to change the subject, which can have a chilling effect on discussion,
especially if it is linked to implications that some people don't know enough
for their opinions to matter.  Which probably applies to me, some of the time.

Maybe this is like the classroom where the so called "brainiacs" dominate the
discussion, and others feel hesitant to speak.  V2020, though, hardly matches
this description on some days, that's for sure!

I guess I expect the experiment of democracy to be far more egalitarian and
open than it is, thus V2020 should call everyone into discussions, regardless
if they are Phds. or not.  The truth is that intellectual elites of one sort or
another are running many aspects of our lives, and the "average Jane or Joe,"
whatever this means, do not understand the details, including me.

Oh well!  Democracy is an experiment, and by its nature we do not know the
outcome!  Some think we do not really have a "democracy" at all here in the USA,
that those who think this are fools.

Where's my jester's cap!

Ted Moffett