[Vision2020] NSA

Mark Solomon msolomon at moscow.com
Thu Feb 24 13:07:33 PST 2005

Barbara,

It is very likely that my knowledge re Gritman is
out of date and if so will be pleased to be
corrected, but when I was county commissioner in
the early 90's we had several discussions with
Gritman about their property tax exemption. In
particular, we noticed that in the two years
since the Gritman nonprofit board had changed
their administrative relationship from one of
hiring/supervising a hospital director to a
contractual relationship with a hospital
management corporation, the amount of charitable
care absorbed by Gritman had dramatically
decreased with a corresponding increase for
requests to the county property taxpayers to fund
the indigent patient care as is provided for in
Idaho Code. The result, at that time, was Gritman
agreeing to increase the amount of indigent
client costs absorbed internally.

I have no idea what the status of that handshake
agreement is today or the nature of the contract
relationship, if it still exists, with the
for-profit hospital management corporation
administering Gritman. The commissioner's efforts
of the early 90's never progressed to the point
where we received a copy of the contract before
the issue was, at that moment, satisfactorily
resolved.

It would be valuable for the community to know if
the contract is for a set amount, set amount plus
performance additions, percentage based, or
something else. IF there is a significant profit
motive built into the administrative contract,
the concept of Gritman as a nonprofit community
hospital worthy of its current property tax
exemption might stand examination.

Mark Solomon