[Vision2020] Re:BID information

DonaldH675 at aol.com DonaldH675 at aol.com
Thu Feb 24 12:03:16 PST 2005

Thank you Kai for bringing this matter to my attention.  Since  receiving
your email I have sought additional background on BIDs and  want to publicly
correct any misinformation in my previous remarks.  I  misunderstood the
information provided by the proponents of the BID at the  recent Moscow Civil
Association meeting.  In fact, the proposed BID will be  supported by property owners
which are not necessarily the same people  as folks who operate a business in
the central business district.   (Although, we can think of many examples of
them being one and the same).   Consequently, the business might be a legitimate
non-profit, but the owner of  the building would not be exempt from the BID.
Apparently  if, and that's a big if, the BID were to pass, building owners
would provide either the book value of the building, or an appraised value and
their share of the BID would be figured accordingly.  (It stands to reason
that if a business was in rented space the BID costs would be passed on to the
businesses leasing space. Consequently, a BID may or may not have an adverse
financial effect on the building owner.)  Members of the Downtown Merchants
Association are leading the BID campaign.
Rose Huskey

"One cannot  level one's moral lance at every evil in the universe. There are
just too many  of them. But you can do something, and the difference between
doing something  and doing nothing is everything." Daniel Berrigan