[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

Saundra Lund sslund at adelphia.net
Wed Feb 23 16:04:45 PST 2005

Joan wrote:
"What I wonder, and what I'd like to ask you about, is what you think can be
done in terms of treating not the symptoms of addiction, the drinking and
the drugging, but the underlying psychological causes?  My father was a
sociopath and a narcissist; my grandfather was an untreated (and, until late
in life, undiagnosed) manic-depressive."

Ah, Joan . . . I think you're just trying to bait me, or else giving me an
opportunity to get on my soapbox again  ;-)

I won't dispute your assessment of your father's problems as being
psychological, but I do insist on correcting the notion that bipolar
disorder (AKA manic-depression) is psychological.  Certainly, there are
psychological *effects*, but bipolar disorder itself is thought to be a
neurobiological disorder, most likely related to a neurotransmitter
imbalance and oftentimes with a genetic component.  At least, that's where
the current thinking is and what the research shows:  it's a *physical*,
rather than emotional/psychological, disorder.  All the therapy in the world
isn't going to do a whole lot of good until the underlying neurobiological
disorder is managed.

And, getting somewhat back to the topic, if one is dealing with a bipolar
(diagnosed or not) addict, adding antidepressants -- including SSRIs -- can
be a bad, BAD strategy when not given in conjunction with mood stabilizers,
preferably after giving the mood stabilizer(s) time to work.

One more thing:  I don't mean to attack addiction, but I find it absolutely
REPUGNANT that there are more resources out there for folks suffering from
addiction than there are for people suffering from neurobiological disorders
over which they never had any control.  Of course, I'm a bleeding heart
liberal who wants to help all those who want it, and that includes addicts.
BUT, when employers start limiting health benefits (in part) because of the
high costs of treating addiction, then I think we have an obligation to make
sure those who have illnesses/disorders/diseases over which they have no
control DON'T wind up with the short end of the stick.  Most unfortunately,
that's what's happening now, particularly with children.

Off My Soapbox,
Saundra Lund
Moscow, ID

nothing.