[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Wed Feb 23 06:48:56 PST 2005

Joan Opyr wrote:

"What I wonder, and what I'd like to ask you about, is what you think
can be done in terms of treating not the symptoms of addiction, the
drinking and the drugging, but the underlying psychological causes?  My
father was a sociopath and a narcissist; my grandfather was an untreated
(and, until late in life, undiagnosed) manic-depressive.  Neither AA nor
NA nor detox can or did deal with these psychological problems.  Shit,
Dr. Freud himself would have been sorely-pressed.  I'd be interested in
hearing your thoughts, Dave -- or anyone else's -- on therapy as a means
of treatment.  How do treat each addict as an individual?  How do you
build self-esteem in the addicts who lack it, and treat narcissim and
borderline personality disorder in addicts who suffer from these
disorders?  How do you get manic-depressive illness under control?  Can
you?  Do you?  How do you ensure that an entire family's life isn't
governed by one family member's addiction?  Is that even possible?  It's
not, in my experience, and that haunts me.  It's also why I absolutely
hate 12-step programs. "

You know Joan, these are tough questions and I assure you I don't have
many answers.  I cleaned up by myself ("white knuckled it" as the 12
steppers would say.)  Then, about two years in, I brought a relative
here to detox from heroin - never a dull moment.  It was he who
introduced me to the rooms of NA.  I found a few things that were
helpful in the program mostly about how to deal with the constant mind
racing and self doubt so I can make it through the day. I also found
that making amends had a huge benefit.  I cannot speak for others.  My
experience is that many addicts are simply just plain a-holes.  They
were that way before they became addicted and they remain that way in
recovery.  Many need years of therapy to uncover the termites in their
attics that drove them to the narcissistic behavior in the first place,
but few will ever admit it.  The most difficult question is how to deal
with loved ones.  Your father or brother might be a schmuck, but they
are still family, and no matter how much you love them you can't stand them.

One of my best friends is a psychiatrist who practices a form of
treatment called ortho-molecular medicine.  He contends that much
behavior is from organic physiology.  This tracks with the common
protocol of using SSRI's for post detox management.  Anyhow, he feeds
his addict patients full of omega 3 fatty acids (fish oil) to regulate
serotonin and then provides basic counseling to address mood, energy,
etc.  I've got to say, the fish oil thing has helped me a lot.  Strange,
isn't it?

The problem is that addicts are not suffering form a homogenous malady.
Each, I think, needs a separate program to address their issues.  The
medical community does not yet understand the "disease" (I'm not
convinced it is a disease as yet, but I use it as in the common
nomenclature.) I think that one-on-one head shrinking is the best place
to start, but that may be difficult to get a self-centered, narcissistic
a-hole to begin.  Root causes are all different.  We can't begin to
count the ways that people can get screwed up in life; overbearing
parents with unachievable expectations, sexual and physical abuse,
chemical imbalances and just pain vanilla learned hedonism ad nausium.
Who knows?

So as for how to deal with family?  I hate to sound like a hard ass, but
you have to be willing to give these people permission to destroy
themselves in order to save yourself.  Leave or give 'em the boot. Like
with my relative, the first time he fell off the wagon I showed him the
door. It worked for a while, and only when he went back to the comforts
of family did he relapse again.  I'm speaking about relapse here, not
intervention. I would propose that getting someone to detox the first
time is a good endeavor,  but 3, 4, 5 times?  How much punishment can
one take?  Short of that, send them to a meeting, cross your fingers and
get out of the way. After detox they at least have a shot at making some
good decisions.

I haven't attended a meeting in quite some time, but I still make time
to tour the detox facility. These people don't need to be scowled at by
family or preached to about how they ruin other peoples lives at this
point.  Most are painfully aware of the pathetic state of their lives.
They need someone to say that the pain will end and there is hope.
That's all,  just a schnitzel of hope.  But I don't discount 12 step
programs.  They have worked for some and for others, like me, they can
provide a couple of good tools.  And I think any program is better than
no program for someone looking for help.

As I said, I have very few answers.  I do, however, have a broad
understanding of options and approaches.  I'm glad to share my
experience with anyone who has someone they are worried about (including
themslves.)

To paraphrase an old cliché, a journey of a thousand miles begins with a
single oy.

db