[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Tue Feb 22 09:08:42 PST 2005

Joan, Joan, Joan, you insufferable hyperbolist (now don't choke on your
snuff. I'm joking here.  I never met a hyperbolist I didn't like - you
can think of me as the Will Rogers of all things vitriolic and
vituperative.)

But, having said that, you said:

" I can see, however, that one very rich user escaped the consequences
of his actions because of his last name, his family fortune, and his
lucky, lucky connections.  I can see that a powerful white guy can snort
until he's forty and rise to the highest office in the land."

Proof? Have you been spending too much time reading Atrios or The
Democratic Underground?  Maybe you're right, maybe you're wrong. Is it
possible he was just a casual or infrequent user? At this point, as far
as I know, only Bush (well maybe a potential dealer or two) and his
maker have the definitive answer.

Then you continued:

"And I can see that he does not use this experience and the bully pulpit
he inherited to argue that users can be redeemed; he has not used it to
insist that drug treatment programs work better than incarceration; and,
finally, he has not used his experience and his power to call an end to
the wasteful, pointless, destructive War on Drugs"

So no level of political expediency is tolerated?  Did you give a pass,
at least with your vote, to John Kerry when he said he was against gay
marriage but that the states should decide it?  Do you deny a
politician's need for coalition building? Conversely, did you award any
credit to Dick Cheney when he disagreed with the president about gay
marriage and said "Freedom belongs to everyone." Does a politician's
zeitgeist completely affirm or discredit all other virtues? Do you deny
that a president needs to pick his fights as only one or two reforms
will ever become law?

Just askin'.

Secondly, I meticulously ran through Mark Solomon's list and I can't
seem to find the cuts in drug treatment programs you mentioned.  Perhaps
I missed it due to my moderate dyslexia (it's true... the reason that I
cannot proof my own work, spell, and I read at an agonizingly slow pace.)
What I noted were the reductions I outlined in Safe Schools (Safe and
Drug Free Schools State Grants) and research for Alcohol Abuse
Reduction.  Correct me if I'm wrong. I got the budget info I used from
the ODCP web site.

Now I love Penn & Teller (libertarian brother's in arms and all) but,
I'll defer to the 15% figure I used from my history with the National
Mental Health Association.  It's true that AA does not track diddly.
Referring to AA as a faith based program however, is much like referring
to Unitarians as Christians (you know, Moses and the 10 suggestions.)
True, the construct of a higher power is the overriding tenet, but they
provide no definition of what a higher power is.  But hey, it's also
estimated that some 30 million people worldwide think the program
works.  Who am I to criticize?

I am however, completely against the whole faith based initiative.  It's
not that I am anywhere close to being an ideologue on the separation of
church and state, I just understand the well chronicled history of the
government "helping."  Sure enough it will soon become not an
"initiative", but another government run set of programs.  I'll let
charity do charity's work and leave governance up to the morons we put
in office.

Last, I  so enjoy that, on the issue of legalizing drugs, you have much
in common with William F. Buckley, Jr., George Will, Milton Friedman and
George Schultz (I've always admired his tattoo.) I truly hope that in
pointing this out I've not set off your gag reflex into an chronic
cadence resembling something like the last stanza of God Bless America.
If I did, I'm sorry... very sorry.

db