[Vision2020] helmet law

Shirley Ringo ringoshirl at moscow.com
Tue Feb 22 12:34:25 PST 2005

Visionaries:

I write to provide information on proposed motorcycle and ATV legislation.  I have partnered with Senator David Langhorst to work on this bill.  The Senate Transportation Committee has agreed to print a bill that will require minors to wear helmets when riding upon or operating a motorcycle or ATV.  I share with many of you the goal of requiring people of all ages to wear a helmet, but if we can pass this legislation we may have the camel's nose under the tent.

It always helps give a bill legs if one can get constituent groups on board.  So far, we're pleased to have the support of the Idaho Trail Machine Association, the Blue Ribbon Coalition, the Idaho ATV Association, and Idaho Parks and Recreation.  Next, Senate Transportation will consider whether to send it to the Senate floor.  I will try to have people available to testify at appropriate times.

Shirley