[Vision2020] Drunks, drugs, and the empathy factor

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Mon Feb 21 15:00:20 PST 2005

You'll get no argument out of me that the War on Drugs is a horrific
waste of time, money and energy. You will find no one in greater
opposition to national drug policy than in yours truly. Commenting on
what Bush has or has not learned is beyond my, and dare I say your,
ability to know.  But you bring up a particular hot button issue with
me.  I am an anti-War on Drugs activist.

Some facts are required here just to uncast aspersions. The
discriminatory drug laws you mention were signed into law by Bill
Clinton. Mandatory sentencing imposed by congress was set in play in the
1980's under Reagan, but one must concede that these laws were put on
the books while the Democrats had control of both houses of Congress.
Spending on drug treatment programs has increased under the Bush
administration a total of 21% through his first term.  This compares
with a 25% increase over the Clinton second term. The drug policy law
enforcement budget increased 15% for Bush compared to a 25% increase for
Clinton. It was also the Clinton administration that moved $30 billion
in drug control money from Justice to Defense and Foreign Affairs
budgets thereby minimizing the "costs" to the Justice Dept. budget - a
shell game that Congress has a nasty habit of doing. Also noteworthy is
the rate of sentences for drug crimes as a percentage of total sentences
has fallen to around 55% from its high in 1995 of 60%.  Bush's 2006
proposal includes proportional increases for, treatment, law enforcement
and interdiction.  However, he has proposed eliminating the "Safe
Schools" program (previously the funding for D.A.R.E.) that was enacted
under Clinton and the efficacy of which is highly suspect  (beyond
getting kids to turn in their pot growing parents to the local
constabulary.) There is also a reduction in block grants for state drug
law enforcement but that has no effect on treatment. Additionally, the
Office of Drug Control Policy (ODCP) has an official position to support
alternative treatment programs in lieu of incarceration and "drug
courts" at the state level. Under the proposed budget,  prevention
research has been reduced, but that's after a 29% increase in Bush's
first term.  If you can find different facts please share them, but I
see nothing in the current dialogue to substantiate your claim of Bush's
budget proposal. Ergo, the folly of U.S. drug policy is bipartisan and
is supported by an overwhelming majority of both parties.

With all that though, federal drug enforcement policy is a minor part to
the entire problem of drug policy.  For example, in 2003 about 80,000
prisoners were held in federal prisons for drug crimes.  That compares
with well over 250,000 held in state facilities.  Remember too, that
Federal law enforcement rarely prosecutes anyone not subject to
trafficking statutes.  Few federal prisoners are thus in the prime
population for which rehabilitation programs would be targeted.  Hence,
if complaints are to be made, they should more rightly be directed at
the states rather than George Bush.  It is true, however, that under
John Ashcroft there has been a concerted effort to arrest people
otherwise complying with various state's medical marijuana statutes.
This is wrong-headed and Bush deserves blame.

Greater context is in order at this point. Sometime around 1992, during
the height of the crack epidemic, the TV show Nightline had a panel
discussion that led to a national debate on drug policy.  If you'll
recall, the then mayor of Baltimore (I think) had called for the
decriminalization of illegal drugs.  The debate has hence fallen out of
the public conscienceless as Americans tend to have the attention span
of a gnat.  On the right were formidable conservative minds such as
Buckley and Will.  On the left, an equally august group of notables
including Jesse Jackson.  The conversation went against all conventional
wisdom.  Conservatives were largely for the dismantling of the War on
Drugs while the liberals insisted that the war needed to continue to be
waged but the systemic racism was deleterious to minority communities.
Importantly, this was the genesis of the debate over treatment v
incarceration.

In 1994 William F. Buckley, Jr. gave a now famous speech on the failure
of the War on Drugs to the New York Bar Association.  It was largely
lauded by bar members but written off as political heresy by both the
left and the right.  Politicians will not embrace a reduction in drug
enforcement.  It makes them appear to be soft on crime.  In last years
budget cycle Democrats and Republicans such as Carl Levin, Orin Hatch,
Joe Biden and Jeff Sessions all called for higher dollars for drug
enforcement. A few have encouraged greater spending on treatment, but
that's political doublespeak as the vast majority of treatment programs
are in the hands of the various states. Implementing such would decrease
the need for federal funding as the costs to the states would ostensibly
be reduced significantly.  From the vantage point of a non-partisan, it
is difficult to lay blame on the administration without equally laying
blame on the entire corpus politic. In following what remains of the
national debate, conservatives are far more vocal in realizing the
failure of the policy than are progressives.  The advocates of
liberalized drug policy?;  Buckley, George Will, Milton Friedman, George
Schultz, the Cato Institution, and the editorial boards of The National
Review and Reason Magazine to name a few.

Now let us think in terms of the economics.  The federal budget, with
hidden expenditures in both the foreign relations and defense budgets,
spends about $50 billion per year on drug control policy. The states
cumulatively spend another $125 billion.  This does not include the cost
of crime associated with the drug trade.  In Buckley's 1994 speech he
estimated from various sources that the cost of crimes perpetrated on
citizens was $330 billion a year.  That was in 1994.  Assuming for the
sake of discussion that that value is true today, the total cost to
society exceeds of the federal budget deficit by about $90 billion.
Meanwhile, overall drug use remains at record levels.

Next, we must address the efficacy of rehabilitation programs.  From a
cursory view of its fiscal implications this seems like a no-brainer.
The annual cost of incarceration is roughly $50,000 while a four week
tour in a rehab center runs about $10,000.  However, according to the
National Mental Health Association the rate of recidivism is roughly
85%.  Thus the efficiency of funds spent on treatment is very low.
Additionally, the NMHA concedes that clinical programs are no more
successful than vanilla 12 step programs over the long term.  It appears
then, that the push for treatment has an economic component for the
mental health industry that does not pass impartiality.  After all,
programs supported by the state will have an dramatic impact on
increasing revenues for programs that are no more effective than the "$1
per meeting toss in the basket" at  AA or NA.  The undeniable truth is
that drunks and addicts don't change their behavior until they decide to
and forced intervention is marginally effective at best.   As in
Montana, if an offender fails a prescribed drug treatment program he is
remanded to the prison system.  The issue of who defines success is
problematic.  For instance, if a juvenile does not show appropriate
progress in drug prevention classes as defined by the provider, the
clinician will recommend to the court that additional intervention is
needed.  Thus, there is an economic incentive for the program providers
to keep juveniles in "the system."  This not only has economic
implications but also removes jurisdiction of the offender from the
courts to the health care system.  But if we are to approach the issue
as a health problem, then why are we collectively maintaining it as a
criminal affair?  The upshot is the artificial bloating of an industry
that does not pass the edicts of supply and demand and produces a
construct held in some economic purgatory that is neither effective or
efficient.  Therefor, is treatment a panacea?  Not likely.

The answer to this conundrum is to legalize drugs and control them with
a similar structure as we now do alcohol. Additionally, federal funds
might be well spent on broad public education programs.  Now, don't get
me wrong.  I think addiction is a cancer on society.  It destroys
families and lives. But we must face the failure in our policy.
Terrorism is substantially funded by profits from the drug trade.  Those
profits are a direct consequence of black market economics. (So when you
vote for drug laws you vote for terrorism.) Afghani farmers would likely
grow food instead of opium and Colombians coffee instead of coca.  Gang
related homicide would be greatly reduced and our prisons would expunge
350,000 inmates.  Automatically the systemic racism of the current
policy would be made null. That is not to say that liberalization would
not have a downside.  Drug usage would increase for a time until society
came to grips with the hazards.  This, however, would become reality as
it has with the continual decrease in tobacco use.  But the current cure
is far worse than the disease.

Why then, if the facts are so apparent, do we not make the jump?
Because it is politically expedient for politicians to contend that they
are looking out for the public and keeping their greater constituencies
in the dark as to the costs and failures. With these huge dollars also
come political power. Political expediency is not solely owned by George
Bush and thinking so is sophistry.

I'll give W credit where credit is due and I'll criticize him when he's
due as well.  It would serve the rest of us to lay blame in a far
broader swath - all partisanship aside.

Dave Budge

ps.  I also lay blame on the baby-boom generation (yes, it includes me)
who has capitualted its idealism and ceded authority to government.
Just mind boggling. (and Hunter Thompson- RIP-would agree.)