[Vision2020] Buffalo:Cruel Joke Relates to Cruel History!

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Mon Feb 21 13:55:42 PST 2005

L. Falen et. al.

You must be joking that you did not understand the racist implications of
that joke?

The poor use of the English language, the historical associations between
buffalo and Native Americans, and the way the buffalo was senselessly killed, all
posit the actor in this joke in the light of an unflattering, ironic and
cruel stereotype of a Native American.

No response that I read on V2020 (I apologize if I missed something)
addressed critical historical facts that are relevant to why this joke was so
insensitive and cruel.

The huge buffalo herds that once roamed areas of North America, helping to
sustain some Native American cultures, were wiped out by the invading conquering
genocidal Europeans, in part to deliberately remove a source of food, etc.,
from the indigenous population.

I would rather have read that joke spoken by a crude "white" man from Europe
with poor language skills, considering this sort of character is at least one
sort who might have been involved in the massive ugly slaughter of Buffalo
committed by Europeans in the old west.  They killed buffalo from the comfort of
trains by the thousands and left them to rot!

I imagine that some Native Americans reading that joke would be very sad and
angry to see a Native American being portrayed as a senseless killer of an
animal that once sustained the true discoverers of this continent, especially
considering that the buffalo were wiped out by Europeans in part to destroy some
native cultures, as they committed horrendous human rights violations against
Native Americans.

What ugly and cruel irony is contained in that joke!

By the way, for those who unthinkingly use the term "Indian," it is a
misnomer created by the ignorant invading genocidal European's who thought they had
discovered India.

Ted Moffett