[Vision2020] Pre-Presidency Geoge Bush Show Political Calculations, Hint of Marijuana

Art Deco deco at moscow.com
Mon Feb 21 08:02:22 PST 2005

All,

This thread has had some interesting and informative twists and turns.

It is an accomplishment to struggle out of substance abuse of which
alcoholism is one form.  People that successfully accomplish this are to
encouraged and commended for their tenacity in that regard.  There is a
genetic component in substance abuse just as their is in weight control that
makes overcoming it much harder for some than others.  There are other
addictions that can be just as harmful to a society -- blind religious
addiction, for example.

Knowing this, a wise person will use alcohol, pot, and religion very, very,
moderately in the first place.  It is really foolish to experiment with and
use hard drugs and deep immersion religion.

A positive trait of Bush is his placing of minorities in important places in
his administration.  While I think that some of these appointments have been
very poor choices because of the views and records of those appointed, at
least the message in appointing minorities is a positive diversity
statement.  [I make no claims about the number of minorities because I
simply do not know.]

Having  said the nice things about Bush which some of my friends might find
traitorous, I must say that discussions such as this one take the focus away
from the real issues of the horrendous stupidity of the Bush presidency.

Not only did Bush engage is in a war  which has caused atrocious suffering
and deprived many of life by lying about WMD, terrorism, etc., but he failed
to understand and plan for the occupation and rebuilding phase.  If any
semblance of planning and thought of these things had been made in advance,
maybe there would have not been a war; maybe bolder and more creative
diplomatic efforts and covert efforts would have been tried and been
successful.

Engaging in the Iraq war left the work in Afghanistan undone.  It still is
by a long shot.

Bush's assault on the environment here and his failure to endorse
international efforts to deal with global environmental problems in the face
of vast and increasing scientific knowledge shows his most objectionable
trait:  his inability to understand complex issues and his puerile trait of
unquestioning reliance on some of his Machiavellian friends and advisers.
In the argument for incorporating learning critical thinking skills at all
levels of education, Bush is the poster child for that argument.

The just submitted Bush budget shows his utter regard for many Americans who
struggle with deep difficult matters whose consequences affect all of us --
witness the list of proposed program cuts that Mark Solomon posted.

So discussions about Bush's personal drinking, recovery, etc., while
interesting, are about as important as discussions about where Clinton put
his cigar.  Such discussions cause the spotlight to be shifted to the
audience from the actors.  Allowing such a shift plays right into Bush's
hands -- it is an administration which deplores openness and would rather
rape the ordinary citizen through a glory hole;  that way he and his friends
do not have to look us in the eye while the blood streams down our legs.

Art Deco (Wayne A. Fox)
deco at moscow.com