[Vision2020] buffalo

Melynda Huskey mghuskey at msn.com
Sat Feb 19 17:40:37 PST 2005

Dear lfalen,

I think it's important to distinguish between intention and impact here.  You didn't intend to be offensive or racist in telling your "joke."  Nevertheless, I found it offensive.  And just as I don't have the power to make you regret telling a racist joke in a public place, you don't have the power to tell me I shouldn't feel offended when you do.

Let's try a little thought experiment, shall we?  Could you tell your joke without identifying it with any particular ethnic group?  Why didn't you?  Would it be as funny if it didn't imply that native people use broken English, hang around in bars, and could never *really* hold senior management positions?  HOw would your joke sound if it started out, "This white man walks into a bar . . ."?

I'd still appreciate it if you'd refrain from telling other racist jokes here.

Melynda Huskey