[Vision2020] The end.

Janice Willard jwillard at turbonet.com
Thu Feb 17 07:43:10 PST 2005

> Phil writes,
>
> >"I apologize for making our "private" email public. I did not think it
was
> >private." I was having difficulty with a computer and hand typed the
email
> >to vision 20/20 instead of hitting the reply key."

This is the second time recently on this list that I have seen someone upset
because a private response was sent out publicly (or placed on a web site).
There are times that you can not see or do not notice that the address is
only from the individual and not something that came in through the entire
list.

There is a simple solution to that--if you make a private response to
someone about something that you read on a list, simply put "Private
message" as the first thing in the subject line.  That way the recipient
will know that this message was only intended for them.  I don't think that
I have ever seen anything with Private Message in the subject line come back
through a list.

However, in reality, nothing that is sent out over the Internet is ever
totally confidential.  My sister, who writes on children's Internet safety
issues, Cyber-bullying and net-etiquette, has always said that you should
not sent anything over the Internet that you wouldn't want to hear repeated
on the 6:00 news.....

JW