Re: [Vision2020] Legistlative update V from Rep. Trail - Feb 7-11

James Nelson hammered at moscowmail.com
Tue Feb 15 12:36:38 PST 2005

Visionaries,

Fiat Lux makes an excellent point that could apply to the shadowy
circumstances surrounding NSA. Lux observes, “Might we better serve
ourselves to enact laws that deny benefits to those who willfully
engage in such risky behaviors and suffer the injurious
consequences of their choices? . . . Simply enacting a helmet law
is not enough to make the die-hard, wind in their hair crowd
actually wear a helmet. Furthermore, issuance of a citation for the
violation of a helmet law seems irrelevant if the violator is brain
dead or deceased?”

I agree; we should enact laws that deny benefits to those who
willfully engage in crimes and misdemeanors. But more importantly,
we should exact the letter of the law in punishing those who
violate it. For example, if the City concludes that NSA’s
activities in the Verizon building are illegal, then NSA should be
compelled to immediately abate their operation, because re-zoning
Friendship Square to accommodate the Kirk’s breach will not prevent
them from breaking the law in the future. Indeed, if we change the
law to indulge criminals, then we will embolden them to commit more
crimes. This would positively encourage more lawlessness, which
would undermine the very foundation of our government.

Take the Sudetenland for an example, after all Hitler did. The
Allies thought that re-zoning Czechoslovakia would placate Hitler’s
quest for world domination. Indeed, we have all seen the
black-and-white footage of Neville Chamberlain promising “peace in
our time” as he waved the Munich Pact in the air. Eleven months
later, however, the Luftwaffe filled the air as German Stukas dive
bombed Poland.

History teaches an easy lesson: if you re-zone real estate because
you want to avoid conflict with an aggressive political power, then
rest assured that your cowardice only prolonged the inevitable. One
day you will have to engage the aggressor because his appetite
cannot be satisfied. He will want more, especially when his agenda
calls for it.

Lux asks rhetorically, “Are more and more ‘paternalistic laws’ the
solution?” And the answer is “no.” We should not set precedent by
coddling Doug Wilson and his ilk. If they broke the law, they
should be held accountable just like the rest of us. And if we do
not hold them to account, then we will be forced to learn a very
hard lesson: You get more of what you subsidize and less of what
you penalize.

Sincerely,

James Nelson