[Vision2020] Body Count in Iraq

David M. Budge dave at davebudge.com
Sun Feb 13 15:42:47 PST 2005

Dear Ms. Three-legged Mule, I agree entirely with your second
paragraph.  I am not a regular reader of Economist but occasionally am
referred to their work.  I cannot comment on any previous
prognostications they've made about Iraq.

Allow me, with all due respect, to remind you of a few (perhaps
inconvenient) facts.  First, this reportage was not from the editorial
desk of The Economist.  Secondly, when the editors endorsed John Kerry
for president in 2004 they referred quite bluntly to Bush as
"incompetent" a week before this article was published.  Accordingly, I
find little evidence that this article shows any "apologist" leanings
but I do well understand the statistics.  Also, Human Rights Watch,
hardly a patsy for the Bush adminsitration, questioned the varacity of
the report.

Twain said "There are lies, damn lies, then there are statistics." (and
me with a not-so-insignificant education in quantitative analysis -
what was it? - "Don't try to teach your grandmother to such eggs"?" I'd
be glad to brag about my education if you wish, but I'm not inclined to.)

You get one demerit on credibility. I'll ignore it as blind bias.
Something that I am guilty of as well from time to time.

Dave Budge