[Vision2020] Noam Chomsky

Tbertruss at aol.com Tbertruss at aol.com
Fri Feb 11 13:34:52 PST 2005

Dave Budge wrote:

"Noam Chomsky (hey, anybody who ever endorsed Pol Pot qualifies as "really
scary.") "

I have followed Chomsky from the late 1960s till the present day, both his
work in linguistics and its implications for theory of mind, and his political
analysis and investigations.  I read his extensive analysis comparing the
media's reporting of the horrific human rights abuses that were committed in East
Timor in the 1970s, abuses committed by Indonesia with military aid from the US
government, compared to how the media reported Pol Pot's psychotic rampage in
Southeast Asia, in "Manufacturing Consent."

Chomsky is fairly regarded as one of the greatest thinkers of the last
century, primarily due to his work in linguistics.  But his political writing is
rich in detail and documentation, his logical capabilities are superb, and he
will take unpopular positions on principle, which has caused him significant
grief.  He defended the free speech rights of a writer who was arguing that the
holocaust was a historical distortion, and for his "politically incorrect"
defense of said free speech principle for a politically unpopular opinion, was
publicly dragged through the mud.

Chomsky never "endorsed Pol Pot."

I can see why Chomsky's formidable political and economic arguments that
contradict your approach would cause you grief.  But asserting that he "endorsed"
psychotic dictators like Pol Pot is simply unfair and false.

Your aside about Chomsky strikes me as an expression of libertarian "group
think."  He is on a short list of the thinkers and writers that libertarians
must delegitimize and denigrate to maintain the integrity of their own political
ideology.

Ted Moffett