[Vision2020] Message from a Christ Church Wife

debismith at moscow.com debismith at moscow.com
Fri Feb 11 00:06:52 PST 2005

OK, I have now seen something much more offensive than spitting or "one nostril
blowing". Christian burns left me needing shower or three.  A wife's calling, like it or
not, is supporting her husband? A mandate from God to submit? My husband was
rolling on the floor laughing!!!!! My fully functional, self-supporting, adult children let
me know this bozo needs some therapy!! (Though out of Moscow, they both
subscribe to v2020). Christian "Burns" indeed!!! What a piece of idiocy!!  In the spirit
of charity, however, I want "Christian " to know that whatever blows his skirt up is fine
by me.....
Debi

Dear ChristChurch Wife,

I hear what you are saying. I don't know Doug Wilson, never met him. I
do not doubt how you feel.

I just wanted to offer some thoughts that I had while reading your
post. I am speaking as a Christian to another Christian, I know this
will sound insensitive to most people.

First of all I wanted to say how sorry I am for the state of your
marriage. You and your husband lack unity. The goal of marriage is
intimacy, and you have this huge wedge between you.

I have been a part of a church with a strong leader that has hurt
people, friends of mine. Caused offence and they took the bait of the
enemy and left the church. It was hard to witness, it didn't have to
go down like it did. People harbor bitterness and it gives a place for
the enemy to thrive in their lives and family. My heart breaks for
them. Some have come through all right, others are rotting from the
inside out.

I have also been part of churches with weak leaders. They have a whole
other set of issues. I have seen families destroyed because people
were not held accountable for sin.

My point is that you have a mandate from God as a wife and mother. It
is not to convince your husband that he is wrong in how he is leading
your family. Your calling whether you like it or not is to support
your husband. Submit to him as the Church is to submit to Christ. Your
husband is called to submit himself to Christ.

If you continue to press for your family to leave by pointing out the
faults of those in your church, you will destroy your family, not save
it. I know that you might disagree with that statement but I would
challenge you to look in scripture.

My wife thinks that your focus needs to me coming into unity with your
husband, not trying to get him to heed your words. Let him lead,
support him.

I am also going to mention your children. I don't know how old they
are or how many you have. But if they feel that bitterness in you
towards others, it will effect them in a bad way.

Are you going outside of your husbands covering and getting together
with others to share your concerns about the church? Stop it, resolve
that God has placed your family where it is and that He never rewards
a spirit of division.

If you want to talk to my wife further about her thoughts, email me
and I will give you her cell phone number. She said that you can talk
to her more about your situation.

And I may be ridiculed for posting this, but I really felt that I needed to.

Christian Burns