[Vision2020] Fundamentalists vs. Evangelicals

Nick Gier ngier at uidaho.edu
Tue Feb 8 23:28:26 PST 2005

Greetings:

using my terms very carefully.  For my own detailed analysis of the terms
"evangelical" and "fundamentalist" you should read the first chapter of my
book God, Reason, and the Evangelicals, in which I use the term
"evangelical" to refer to millions of American Christian and do not use the
term "fundamentalist" at all.  (See www.class.uidaho.edu/ngier/gre.htm.) I
believe that only a small portion of these Christians would affirm the
positions that I mention in my essay: (1) An arrogant proclamation of those
who are saved and those who damned; (2) a gleeful wish for the destruction
of infidels on either side; (3) an ethnic chauvinism of the type we see in
the League of the South; and (4) a serious affirmation that the laws of God
should be the laws of the land.

Yes, "fundamentalism" is a tricky word, but the other reason I chose to use
it here is that these positions fit so nicely with what we know of Muslim
fundamentalism.

Nick Gier