[Vision2020] Fwd: Claude Dalllas to be released tomorrow

Warren Hayman whayman at adelphia.net
Sun Feb 6 14:13:09 PST 2005

I agree with the spirit of DC's post. The analogy of running red lights
and killing is flawed. To rectify it somewhat, the poaching amounts to
the running of the light. Killing the official who tries to arrest you
for it (with or without a drawn gun) is a different scenario, and more
closely approximates the situation.

I admit I start from opposition to the death penalty. PK in the post
and TH in the response seem to favor it. "That
anyone could outright kill two people of any employment and get out of
the death penalty is incredable." "I totally agree with Ms. Kraut." So
at least my bias is also out front as well.

But beyond that, the tenor of those texts seems to point a finger at
Dallas for walking. A convicted killer served the time mandated by the
courts, and was released. This reifies a justice system. Rather than
impugn an entire system, perhaps we can blame the jury and prosecuting
and defense attorneys for their relative strengths and weaknesses.
Dallas committed the crime. He did not determine the charges against
him. He did not determine his incarceration length. The judge sentenced
according to guidelines already set; I see no precedent established
back in 1982.

Perhaps the argument is that 30 years is too lenient for voluntary
manslaughter; I don't know the statutes. Capital punishment is not
within the venue, though. I do know that 30 years (the original
sentence) is a long time. Long enough to forgive? Maybe. Time enough to
remember those who died? I hope so.

Warren Hayman