[Vision2020] Re: Fiat Lux

Mark Seman FCS at Moscow.com
Sat Feb 5 00:28:12 PST 2005

Fiat Lux, et al,
I sometimes feel remiss in my not being to be more "active" in the threads
and discussion that occur on V2020.  Too often I find myself pressed to time
because I have a business to run and look for ways to "increase efficiency."
Too often this can lead to not speaking up because of priorities and the
ease of silence.  I truly appreciate the time many on this forum take in
there responses (there are also those I feel need to take more time in
formulating their opinions, but the is my personality and not that of the
quick witted) and in the occasional necessary action.

As far as using one's name on the forum, it is a relatively mute point in
helping with a true definition of one's identity on this forum.  As far as
it making someone's opinion or value any greater or less worthy, seems
shallow to me.  Anyone should be able to express themselves in any
"harmless" manner neccessary.  I don't care much whether someone posts
anonimously.  If I do, I'd try to round 'em up and ask "Why?"  I take what I
hear on V2020 (as with any other medium) with my own personal filters on.
This is not my gospel, I would hope it is not anyone's.

Part of my background makes me look at life for patterns.  If I (or anyone)
thinks about this forum, development of Moscow, lighting, gay marriages,
Douglas Stambler, NSA, MAC, MSD, 1912, BID, art, culture, food, housing,
zoning, Iraq, GWB, economy, tsunami, Jonny Carson, or water - it can be
fairly easy to determine certain patterns.  If we take some of the easy ones
of: frequency, relative quality, time period (longevity, or persistance of
concept), personal priority, "real" importance - we can come up with our own
lists.  We can all identify with what we see, hear and smell "all" the time
(frequency); it's crappy or great, as far as I know (relative quality); man,
will this never leave? - is there no response? - that was a long time ago!
(longevity, or POC); that's why it's great! - why bother? (personal
priority); thousands dead - why bother? ("real" importance).

I can look at myself and define my own patterns.  I understand (compare
"know") my frequency, quality, longevity, priorities, and - "real"
importance, I'm always trying to figure that one out.  I have even planned
out some patterns...if certain things do or do not happen, others are
supposed to follow suit.  But going back to importance, I don't know which
is which yet.  Of those patterns (positive and negative) that I perceive
occuring, some resonate with me more than others and I will tend to pay
attention to those, hence my inactivity in other areas.

"Truth is found in cultural myths and mores", Peter Vincent.  The frequency
in which I hear this borne out on DSL is beyond equal to my TV.  Most likely
because of the frequency of my connection, but just the idea that V2020 is
my CBS News (filtered of course!), leads me to question my own sanity.
Should I be so hooked up?  I can turn it off anytime I choose, but just like
TV, I have eternal hope that just around the corner something better will
show.  Carson's show continued without him, but I changed the channel to
Letterman.

There are a number of V2020 posters that are my Letterman (I just had to
wait it out, I didn't need to change the channel.)  I won't make a list,
because it's just "my" list.  And not that it's "real" important, but those
I post back to happen to be on a certain frequency.  Those that don't post
back are on a different one, just as those are who'll post back in four
days - it's not "real" important, it might just be a personal priority.

How much longer would Doug Stambler have faired with a psuedonym?  Surely
there were other issues involved, but he did try to hang on.  Oh, yeah, he
did use other names...never mind.  In my clearest terms: I don't care what
your name is, just post.  Personally, in my desire for "increased
efficiency" I would hope that it would be constructive, but I don't care.
When I find time I'll respond and if I don't, well I've just got other
things to do.

Mark

Mark Seman, Architect
Heather Seman, Landscape Architect
1404 East 'F' Street  Moscow, Idaho 83843
v 208-883-3276 / f 208-883-0112