[Vision2020] A "light" hearted view ...

Jasper Nance nanc3296 at uidaho.edu
Wed Feb 2 20:39:49 PST 2005

I feel that as an astrophotographer I should respond to this post in some
way.

Light pollution from the moon is really limited to a few days out of the
month, and it doesn't even last the entire night. When watching aurorae you
can always just wait for the moon to set, or view it before the moon rises.
Yard lights don't really work that way... Also, yard lights come in at
wonderfully horrible angles whereas the moon comes in from straight up ( and
slightly southward! which is anti-aurora direction). Agreed that headlights
suck, but they still don't shine upward. (Like the billboard across the
street from pets are people too does, obscuring my view of most things in
the night sky with its many hundred watt halogen beams that probably set
birds flying overhead aflame)

Other notable things in the post would be things like light reflects not
refracts off of particulants, and that said particulants are usually water
vapor and very thin dust which doesn't affect the clarity of sky at all (not
like its a big cloud of dirt or smoke)

Also the fact that we could light up celestial objects in any way is quite
absurd due to the distances involved considering the speed of light....

And I won't get into the moon and sun being on a cycle that animals, plants,
and fungi have envolved with and need to function correctly and constant
light sources screw with. (Yes even people!)

We certainly can't kill all light pollution, but we can at least be
considerate of others (animals, plants, fungi as well as people) and keep it
within tolerable levels. Want to see something? Grab a flashlight, they work
much better than any yard light will.

If you need light to do something, then use it and do it and turn it off.
You don't need to light up anything while you're asleep, and noone is
looking. Would you leave your sink on just because you wanted to be sure
that your dishes were ALWAYS clean? Of course not.

             Ms. Jasper Nance

--------
Jasper Nance
Creative Photographer at your service!