[Vision2020] We're Not Boise

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Fri Dec 30 20:10:16 PST 2005

sideways, chocolate in one hand, a drink in the other, body thoroughly used
up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO HOO. What a ride!'"Greetings
Visionaires and Vandals -

I have given this some serious thought and I have come to the realization
that we, as true Idahoans must not, and will not, be associated with the
ignorance implied and suggested by comments made by MPC Computers CEO Mike
Adkins and Boise mayor Dave Bieter at last Monday night's Beyond the Game
Dinner at the Boise Centre concerning Mathias Kiwanuka of Boston College.

Simply criticizing Boise State University, the city of Boise, and MPC
Computers for their appalling lack of maturity does not go far enough.

Years from now . . . or maybe next year . . . when a college is invited to a
bowl game to compete against the University of Idaho Vandals, if we do not
take advantage of an opportunity we have RIGHT NOW, that opponent will
refuse to participate and will paint us with the same brush of ignorance
that Boston College has rightfully applied to Boise State University, the
city of Boise, and MPC Computers.

We are better than that.  Our professors, scholars, students, and alumni
have preached, and it is now time that we have an opportunity to prove:  The
state of Idaho is richer, not in spite of our differences but because of
them.

Let's let Boston College know that we're not Boise, that we have open minds,
open hearts, and helpful hands.  In this pursuit, I am asking, and strongly
encouraging University of Idaho alums and Moscow citizens to express
themselves to:

Boston College Head Football Coach Tom O'Brien

thomas.obrien.2 at bc.edu

Boston College Athletic Director Eugene DeFelippo

eugene.defilippo.2 at bc.edu

Boston College President William Leahy

william.leahy.1 at bc.edu

Take care of yourselves and each other.