[Vision2020] Book plug

Sunil Ramalingam sunilramalingam at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 29 13:13:42 PST 2005

On December 20, 1980, my high school classmate John Riggins and his
girlfriend Sabrina Gonsalves were kidnapped from Davis, California, and
brutally murdered.  Their bodies were found two days later in Sacramento.
We had just finished our first quarter at UC Davis.  I had met her once,
during the quarter, but that was it.

John grew up in Davis, and these murders hit the town hard.  In 1989, three
people (and later a fourth) were charged with the murders.  In 1992, as the
cases headed for trial, semen was found on a blanket in the Riggins' van (in
which they were abducted) that excluded all the men charged, and also didn't
match John.  The prosecutor dismissed the charges, and the defendants were
released after two and a half years or more in jail.  They were never
re-charged.  I lost track of the case, and wondered if it would ever be
solved.

Nothing happened for a few more years.  In 2001, I think, a mutual friend
put me in touch with Joel Davis, a reporter who was a year behind John and
me at Davis High, who was researching the case.  Joel was instrumental in
getting the case moving forward again, and in 2002 a match for the DNA was
found:  a prisoner in Washington, who has now been charged with the murders.

Joel's book about the murders came out this fall, and for those who might be
interested, below is a link to his website.  Books can be ordered from the
site.

http://www.justicewaits.com/

John's family went to the church I attended in Davis, and every Christmas I
think of them.  For those of us from Davis, who knew John and were there
when this happened, this book answers a lot of questions, after many years
had passed.  Joel finished this book after being diagnosed with Parkinsons
Disease, and after having brain surgery last year.  I don't think he ever
thought he'd be a participant in the story, but that's how it ended up.

Sunil