[Vision2020] A Very Rumsfeld Christmas

Tom Hansen thansen at moscow.com
Tue Dec 27 07:12:27 PST 2005

>From DrinkingLiberally.org (www.drinkingliberally.org
<http://www.drinkingliberally.org/> )

A Very Rumsfeld Christmas

A Visit From St. Rummy

(with apologies to Clement Clark Moore...

written in '04, and sadly still relevant)

'Twas the night before Christmas,

when all through Iraq

Not a soldier was peaceful,

prepared for attack.

Their weapons were hung on their shoulders with care,

For fear that insurgents soon would be there.

Their comrades were nestled restless in beds,

While sad dreams of families danced in their heads.

The trumpet hailed darkness with a rendition of Taps,

And all settled in for their uneasy naps.

When out on the runway there arose such a clatter,

Soldiers sprung forward, fighter jets scattered.

When, what to their wondering eyes should appear,

But a spectacled man in full battlegear.

With a manner abrasive, and a little faux-chummy,

They knew in a moment it must be St. Rummy.

With reckless bravado, his entourage came,

And he whistled and shouted and called them by name:

"Now Wolfie! Now Pearly!

Now, Cheney and Condi!

On, good old boy Bremer!

On, General Tommy!

To Baghdad! Fallujah!

Don't tremble or fall!

Soon Tehran and Syria!

We'll blast away all!"

His jaw firmly set, his eyes tightly squinted

In the lens of his glasses, confidence glinted.

A national icon, a media charmer,

He knows that real men don't wear body armor.

His rumbling swagger and grumbling tones,

Shook all the world to the core of its bones.

Nothing about him was frivolous, jolly

Or flaky, effeminate or subject to folly.

He'd come to give soldiers their holiday presents:

Perpetual violence and local resentment;

Cutting pay and vets benefits and even more:

He'd signed all of them up for an additional tour.

Strong peacetime strategy? A good exit plan?

Not from our Rummy, a true manly man.

Instead he gave greeting cards wishing them health

But didn't take time to sign them himself.

He snapped a few photos, was then on his way,

Readying his return to the U-S-of-A.,

The soldiers missed home, their families and pals.

Rummy offered a word to boost their morale.

"We fight wars," he explained, so firm and so gaunt,

"With the armies we have, not the armies we want."

Then shouted as the chopper lifted from sight,

"Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good fight!"

- A sobering holiday message from DrinkingLiberally.org

Take care and Happy New Year, Moscow.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the tranquil
and steady dedication of a lifetime."

--Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.