[Vision2020] Wal-Mart meeting

keely emerinemix kjajmix1 at msn.com
Tue Dec 20 17:36:17 PST 2005

You're right, Dan -- Safeway is hardly keeping its execs up late at night to
discuss how to better my life.  On the other hand, WalMart seems to have an
uncanny ability and, frankly, the naked ambition behind it, to gobble up
small towns in ways that Safeway and Rosauer's don't.

Much of the "groceries" that the current WalMart sells are packaged,
processed, and unhealthy pseudo-foods that contribute to poor health and
rapidly drain the wallet.  It's hard for me to imagine that the better
buying choices are to be found between a box of Goldfish crackers or a big
bag of pretzels, Gatorade Blue vs. ProPel Fitness Water, Gummi Bears or
Swedish Fish.  Those things are also available, of course, at nearly every
grocery store, convenience store, and "drug" store in town as well, but the
low-income people and other careful shoppers I know are generally wiser than
that, and very few consider the junk food savings at WalMart an important
financial boon for them.

keely